3D MANUFACTURING SYSTEM: BINDER JETTING
Material qualification, process technology
Our task was to develop and implement an additive manufacturing system based on the binder jetting process in order to help an EPDM granules manufacturer to expand its field of business. We were using elastomer-based (EPDM) granules and polyurethane binder as the processing materials. The task involved researching and defining the relevant process- and material-related parameters and their effect on product quality, while simultaneously developing the system to meet the requirements regarding mechanical properties and dimensional accuracy.
Our core development steps comprised conducting a series of tests and evaluating the results, in particular, to determine material properties (incl. the effect of granulometry and rheology). We also identified manufacturing system limitations and errors, alongside implementing further development steps in the area of process mechanics and system control. And, in order to validate the functions that have been developed, design specimens were created and used. The project was completed successfully as all requirements were fulfilled properly.
- Integrating the following disciplines: product management, procurement, sales and production
- Identifying action steps and preparing decisions for further strategy
- Evaluating the manufacturing process
- Planning and implementing system extensions
- Defining adaptation and optimisation measures
- Overseeing technical project management and coordinating external project partners
- Refining the manufacturing system until production readiness